For Brian and I, the packing extravaganza continued this weekend – yippee!! Or should I say….YUCK! The more I do the less I like it, but I will say we’re nearly there and I can’t help but think about the light at the end of this cluttered, box-filled tunnel…our house! Just 5 more days and we’ll be moving in. I can’t wait.
Now, I wouldn’t exactly call myself an expert on all things packing related, but I will say that I have mastered the art of packing up myself at the very least. My credentials: in college, there was one 12-month period where I believe I moved six times in and out of either campus buildings, Brian’s parent’s house and my first apartment. At one point I was even living out of my car! No – not a lie. Ask anyone at my family reunion if they remember me driving in with clothes piled clear to the ceiling of my little white Malibu, rolling the windows down when I needed something out.
With that, I give you some of the tips and tricks I’ve learned along the way, both on my own, and with Brian’s help. 🙂
- Garbage Bags Are Awesome: Curtains, linens, clothes, throw pillows, you name it – if it’s soft it goes into a garbage bag. They’re so easy to fit into your car, or the random extra spaces in your moving truck!
- Start Early: The more time you give yourself, the less stressful packing can be. Brian and I started packing up about three weeks ago, and I’m really glad we gave ourselves the extra time. Every night we took on a different small project, whether it was packing up the winter clothes, guest bedroom, taking things off the walls, or scheduling the U-Haul, just a bit each night really made a difference for us.
- Stay Organized: I can’t say enough about a good labeling protocol. Make sure to note the room you’d like the box or bag to go to, the approximate contents, the side which should face up, and whether or not it should be handled particularly carefully. This will help tremendously when it comes to UN-packing and your helpers will appreciate the direction.
- Separate Yourself Periodically: Both from the packing, and from each other! Brian and I love each other very much, but that doesn’t stop us from getting grumpy on occasion (especially with the stress of packing, moving, and planning a wedding all at once)! Everyone needs a break, so, we built-in some solo-time for ourselves this month: he had a boys weekend in D.C. and I had a dance weekend with the girls in Needham. No matter how good the time together can be, we each need some time apart too!
- Forwarding Mail: Did you know that for just $1, the United States Postal Service forward all your mail to your new address? With all the accounts we have under our names, it’s likely that we’ll forget to change the address for one of them, so for us this is a really convenient service. It means that if you don’t have a chance to change your address for each account, you won’t miss out on any important mail.
Next time you move, don’t ask me to help you pack. But, if you need tips on how to go about it, give me a call! I’ll help you from afar 🙂